At the time that I bought it, I thought that I had a plan for the fabrics but the minute that I had the fabrics in my hand, I knew that I had to have a rethink.
The rich blue tones just cried out to be used as the sea and I immediately hatched a plan for a seahorse quilt.
The minute that the design was finalised, I was impatient to start sewing. I had been sewing a lot of gifts and I wanted to take the pressure off and do something fun! As a result, all the remaining fabrics for the quilt needed to come from my stash. I needed to start immediately.
I really wasn't sure what fabric to use for the seahorse.My initial drawings had the seahorse done it one fabric, but that seemed dull and flat. There were too many options and my head began to spin. Then I sat down and thought logically.
I wanted to stay true to my own style so I didn't want the seahorse to be faceted multi-colour.
I didn't want it to be orange or pink.
I wanted realisitic(ish) with a hint of fun.
I wanted there to be a stark contrast between the seahorse and the background.
With this knowledge, I went to look at my stash. Green, blue and purple were all ruled out as a result of my list of conditions. It occurred to me that I had quite a range of mustard, yellow and lime green tones and that these would work perfectly. A spot of orange for contrast and oakshott cotton for the eye- what could be better!?!
It was a totally random decision to make the quilt measure 50 inch on all sides. I guess the zebras had been 40 inch and I wanted to keep challenging myself by increasing the size of my blocks, so 50 inch was a logical choice. I had no idea whether or not I would have enough fabric, but I just went for it. Fearless sewing- that's my thing!
Lets say that I cut it fine on the fabric requirements! I had to alter the background as I was sewing to ensure that there was enough fabric to finish. Luckily, that is easy to do when it is your own pattern and you are sewing a fractured background.
One of the things that I am most proud of on this quilt is the quilting. I can really see the progression in my skills level from Zebra Dazzle to Treasure of the Sea. I have always said that quilting is a journey for me and I love being able to see that I am not stagnating. It can be intimidating deciding on ways to quilt things and it can also be tempting to take the easy way out and stick to techniques that you KNOW are within your skills level. I have been challenging myself recently and it is really rewarding to be able to see the improvements.
I promise that I will release the pattern, but I don't see that happening any time soon- sorry. I will of course keep you posted with my progress.