I finished it!
This is the circular needles knitting project that I showed you last week: a child sized top down bonnet.
Knitting quality: Getting better all the time. Still not beautifully smooth, but a definite improvement on previous projects. Maybe its time to get started on a bigger knitting project...
The wool: The previous beanies that I knitted for Rascal and Wee Man were knitted with beautiful quality merino wool left over from Wee Man's blanket. This project was knitted using a ball of wool that I've had for ages. I notice that when Rascal wears it, she regularly scratches so I wonder how popular this hat will become. It is possible that it will be known as the scratchy hat in the future!
What I learnt: As usual with knitting projects, google and you-tube were my friends. With their help, I interpreted the abbreviations in the pattern, learnt how to use circular needles and mastered several new stitches.
The disappointment: I didn't have enough wool left to knit the cute ears that are optional to the pattern. Rascal would have loved an animal hat, but I guess what she doesn't know won't hurt her!
The confession: (Yes, I said I'd share all details of the project.) Imagine me sitting frowning in concentration, tongue poking out the corner of my mouth as I manipulate my knitting needles. So busy thinking about whether to increase or not that I accidentally knit my stitch maker into the weave. I only noticed a whole row later and as taking stitches back generally leads to me having to unravel everything, I decided to accept the mistake and cut the maker out at the end. Thank goodness that I've got plenty of stitch markers!
|The proof... oops!|