This project has been a real labour of love.
It has been a huge pleasure designing a safari quilt to match Frances Newcombe's beautiful Utopia fabrics. I love that it's been done in a haphazard, relaxed kind of way. No deadlines, no pressure, just the room to create in my own time.
I've said it before, but this project was just what I needed!
I will admit that the black background took me way out of my comfort zone. It was not a background colour which I would normally choose. I initially intended to use white and give the quilt a fresh feel, but I was worried that the giraffe would not show up against white (and honestly, what is the point of piecing something if you can't see it?!)
As soon as the decision was made and I had started to sew, I knew that I had made the right choice. I love the drama that the black lends to the quilt and that all the details can be so clearly distinguished.
I free motion quilted this on my new sewing machine. I had fun doing it. I tried out lots of different designs and really tried to choose quilting motifs which suited each animal.
I am actually pretty happy with the result.
It's not perfect but it shows a huge improvement on my last free motion quilting efforts. I'm not afraid to admit that I am still learning this fmq business and I am doing my best to be realistic in what I expect of myself.
Finishing the quilting on ths quilt was one of those moments when I could stand back and see that I am making progress. I love that!
The quilt was made using a fat quarter bundle of Utopia. All of the fabrics are represented in the quilt, as I finished it off with a scrappy binding using the remaining fabrics which weren't on the front of the quilt.
I still have some fairly big scraps of a couple of the fabrics that I used for the binding and I must admit that my mind is ticking over, trying to think of a suitable use for them.
I am slowly releasing all the patterns from this quilt. Many of them will not be exactly the same size as the ones in this quilt as I adjusted the size based on my own personal experience of sewing the blocks.
For those of you who are interested, here is a quick breakdown of the quilt:
Finished dimensions= 115cm x 144cm (45" x 56")
Free motion quilted by me using Aurifil 50wt thread in a variety of different shades.
Fabrics used= Utopia by Frances Newcombe for Art Gallery Fabric
I can't wait to show you the coordinating Utopia cushion!